I think you’ll agree that when trying to find extra space for the lawn equipment used the majority of the time, it seems that it’s best to have a dedicated storage area for just that. Especially when trying to find lawn mower storage, there are a few reasons why it might be better to keep it stored in it’s own little box.
In this post, we’re going to cover different types of storage sheds used mainly for lawn mowers. That may be a push mower, a zero turn, or just a riding lawn mower. Which ever mower you own, you’re going to find some great information to help you decide what’s right for your situation.
Looking for a fast track? Use the table of contents below to get info faster!
Wood Sheds – The Good and The Not So Good
Wooden sheds have been around for a very long time and are generally the more traditional approach. For those looking to create their own shed plan, build it from scratch, or follow a pre-made plan, you might consider this option.
With the options of things like customizing and not having to worry about a predefined size, some might think this is the way to go.
Take a look at the below advantages and disadvantages for a wood lawn mower shed.
✅ Highly customizable
✅ Not limited by size/shape
✅ Add things like windows
❌ Possible unfinished interior
❌ Typically more expensive
❌ Usually needs re-painted over time
❌ Wood is vulnerable material
For the ultimate space savers out there, you’ll really be pleased to see the functionality of this what’s called a “glidetop” shed. It’s short enough to store away goods like bikes, mowers, and other garden tools.
Can I Use A Horizontal Shed For Lawn Mower Storage?
The question really depends on your current situation. Do you have a mower with foldable handles? Or, do they slide down in some way that reduces the need for a high clearance?Maybe there’s a chance that it’s an old fashioned reel mower and it’s not as tall as the shed. Whatever the case may be, horizontal sheds are made for low clearance areas, but still providing the cubic feet necessary to keep a lot of lawn items inside.
Rubbermaid Horizontal Storage Shed, small
- Great for storing patio, lawn, and gardening tools and supplies ; The shed can accommodate one wood shelf (not included).
- Tough, double-walled construction and an impact-resistant floor protects items from inclement weather
- External Dimensions - 34 x 55 x 28 inches. Inside dimensions: 29 x 47 X 21 inches
- Will not rot or rust like metal or wood sheds, Easy assembly
- 1-shelf capacity (shelf sold separately); Storage Capacity: 18 cubic feet
Even if you aren’t storing a lawn mower in this shed, there’s plenty of room to store things like firewood, outdoor games, fertilizer items, and more. A nice part about these sheds are the stronger floor – perfect for heavier equipment.
What’s The Best Storage Used As A Lawn Mower Shed?
There’s different reasons to pick a certain shed over the other. You can find more information about choosing a storage shed in this post here on the site.You might find that a horizontal shed doesn’t fit your mower well enough and/or you’re looking for something more spacious. Also, other barriers you might run into include lack of time (need for quicker installation) or an even smaller space than 34 cubic feet.Take a look at the next shed if the above sounds similar or describes your situation – the Keter Woodland Storage Shed.
Keter Store-It-Out: Woodland Outdoor Resin Horizontal Storage Shed
Keter Store-It-Out MIDI 4.3 x 2.5 Outdoor Resin Horizontal Storage Shed
- Stylish Wood-Look Texture In Neutral Colors To Complement Any Home
- Made From Polypropylene Resin Plastic & Steel Reinforcement To Ensure Its Durability
- Storage Capacity: 30 Cu. Ft. Wash Shed With Mild Detergent And Water, Avoid Abrasive Cleaners
- Built-In Support For Shelf (Shelf Not Included)
- Can Store Two 32-Gallon Trash Cans
If you’re looking for a budget friendly shed and happen to have a mower with handles that fold or are removable, getting this will be a great choice. Also, your current mower might even fit, as long as the height is correct.This is also perfect for patio furniture or accessories like swing pillows, deck chair cushions, or other things that can be stored lightly.This particular Keter storage shed is a best seller on Amazon and comes in 30 cu. ft. or 42 cu. ft. options. In addition to some of the other benefits/features, you can lock the shed to protect your belongings.
I’m Looking For A Larger Option – What Are My Choices?
Okay, you’re the one that has the 1+ acre lawn with plenty of room to splurge on lawn mower storage. Heck, you might even have a zero turn AND a riding lawn mower.
But, only one of the two options below will actually fit BOTH of those! Remember, bigger is not always the best solution.
Think about what you own – equipment, lawn goods, deck furniture, etc. Do you actually need the extra space, or is there a more condensed option you could look into?
Anyway, since you’re still thinking big, let’s see what’s in store for you…
This is also perfect for patio furniture or accessories like swing pillows, deck chair cushions, or other things that can be stored lightly.
Lifetime 6446 Outdoor Storage Shed with Shutters, Windows, and Skylights, 8 by 15 Feet, Putty/Brown
- Features- 6 small skylights, 2 shatterproof polycarbonate windows, 2 screened vents, 2 decorative shutters, 2 peg strips, 2 90" x 9" shelves, 4 corner shelves.
- Exterior Dimensions: 15 ft. W x 8 ft. D x 7 ft. 10.8 in. H
- Interior Dimensions- 90" W x 174" D x 70-94" H
- Low maintenance; constructed of dual wall UV protected High Density Polyethylene with steel wall supports
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
Now, this is the big one…You’re looking at nearly a guest home you could offer to your next visitor!
Need some windows? Done.
How about some shutters? Done. Skylights? Done!
Not only do you get all the above listed features, but here’s some other things to look forward to:
- 6 skylights, 2 shatterproof windows, 2 screened vents, 2 shutters, and 4 corner shelves!
- Very low maintenance; dual wall stell supports
- Heavy-duty trusses for the roof; with 10-year limited warranty
- Nice looking design, high-pitched roof for easy runoff of rain or other types of weather
If you’re really serious about getting a shed, try this on for size! I don’t think you’ll be dissatisfied with your next
home shed purchase.
Summary & Thoughts
It’s invaluable to have the options to store your lawn equipment in a protected place for it’s next time use. Sometimes, we just don’t want to put our stuff in the garage due to chemicals, things like oil, or simply because we want to park the car in there.
Finding a spot in the yard to place a storage shed is definitely a plus because it adds more space, easy access, and a way to separate the “lawn stuff” versus the “garage stuff”.
If you’ve got the area needed, more space can certainly help with future purchases such as a riding mower if you don’t have one, an extra bike or two, and even winter items.
However, saving space can be just as nice for a clean, minimalistic-type approach to a simple, organized yard. One decision is not better than the other, but simply a means of your preference and likeness.
Take a look through these shed reviews and leave a comment or get in touch with your thoughts!
Last update on 2020-07-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API